Supporting Organ Donation – Supporting Life
6 years ago
As many of you know, one of our own, Scott Kent received a critical, life-saving liver transplant in December 2013.
This raised our awareness of the critical need for organ donors, and what it takes to sign up as a donor.
A few facts about organ donation:
- Each day, about 79 people receive organ transplants.
- There currently are more than 120,000 US candidates on the organ wait list; but sadly 18 people die each day waiting for a donor organ that never comes.
- You can save up to 8 lives through organ donation and enhance many others through tissue donation.
- In 2010, there were almost 2.5 million deaths in the U.S. Imagine if every one of those persons had donated.
- Currently, more than 100 million people in the U.S. are signed up to be a donor—sign up and join them.
The reality is that the number of candidates waiting continues to dwarf the number of donor organs available. We at Great Basin Nation can help change this—by registering as an organ, eye, and tissue donor and encouraging others to do so.
The easiest way to become an organ donor is to go online and signup in the individual state where you have your driver’s license. http://www.organdonor.gov/becomingdonor/stateregistries.html
Imagine if 350 of us became donors. Now imagine if we each encouraged 5 friends and family to also become donors. That would be more than 2,100 people on the list for life-saving donations.
Thanks Great Basin Nation for your awareness and support of this life-saving effort!Blog